I just got home from the game. It was another great night at the Old Igloo. The Pens looked like a team that came to compete with one of the top teams in the league, and the Devils looked like they forgot to practice for a week or two.
I don’t know what I liked best about this game. It could be the Pens putting six on the Devils, it could be the abuse that Dainius Zubrus took so frequently throughout the game, it could have been the overwhelming droaning of “Maaaarty…..Maaaarty….Maaaarty”, it could have been seeing Bill Guerin fighting David Clarkson or the fact that the Pens got two powerplay goals. I am not sure what was best, but it is hard to find anything to complain about with this game.
- The Pens finished up the longest homestand in team history on a very strong note. They went 6-1-1 in that period. That is 13 of a possible 16 points. Nice work, boys!
- Ruslan Fedotenko left the game after a hit by Bobby Holik at the end of the second period. Feds was looking good again. Hopefully, he is OK.
- Malkin had one point to add to his league leading total and Crosby had two points to put him just one shy of 100 for the season.
- And, yes, Hal Gill had two assist tonight. You just can’t stop him, you can only hope to contain him.
- This may be a bit ambitious, but we are currently tied with Philly (they have one game at hand) and only six points behind the sinking Devils with five games remaining. hmmmmmm
- THE HUNT FOR THE PLAYOFFS
|Western Conference||Eastern Conference|
|1. Y - San Jose||111||1. Y - Boston||108|
|2. Y - Detroit||107||2. X - Washington||101|
|3. Vancouver||93||3. X - New Jersey||98|
|4. Chicago||93||4. Pittsburgh||92|
|5. Calgary||92||5. Philadelphia||92|
|6. Columbus||88||6. Carolina||91|
|7. Anaheim||84||7. NY Rangers||89|
|8. Nashville||84||8. Montreal||88|
|9. St. Louis
|10. Minnesota||81||10. Buffalo||83|
|13. Los Angeles||73|
** Through 04/01/09 games, current as of 11:02 p.m. ET
X - Clinched Playoff spot Y - Clinched Division
Teams not listed have been eliminated from contention.
Thanks to NHL.com for the standings