Old Reg had to go out and celebrate the victory big time last night. So in an abbreviated segment, I would like to look beyond the Ovechkin hit. Let’s not forget the Pens won a huge game last night. I think the best news of the whole thing is that they broke Varlamov. In a game where the Pens had as few shots on goal as they did, they beat Varlamov 5 times. Some of those goals were downright soft. Thus proving that this kid is human. It will be interesting to see how he bounces back from a tough outing.
On a separate note, it appears the Pens have found the secret to beating the Caps. Fleury must give up a bad goal very early in the game. He did it again last night, but the team appears to rally big time around these bad goals.
- It seems to be easier to win when Crosby is joined on the scoresheet by some of his teammates.
- Though Fleury gave up a bad goal early, he made a spectacular save later in the game.
- Last night was the most “invisible” I have seen Malkin all playoffs. It is hard for me to be critical of him at all, but he followed up one of the best games I have witnessed with probably his least effective.
- The Pens gave up another goal that was the direct result of a blatant missed call by the refs in the third period.
- How about Talbot stepping up in Sykora’s place.
- Or how about Satan showing he can contribute.
I hope the Pens can take this momentum and seal the deal in these next two games.