It’s that time of year again for PenguinPoop’s empty net goals and empty net assists calculator to start popping out empty net stats in comparison to scoring leaders and goal scoring leaders.
So I pulled out the calculator and here’s what I came up with:
*Final end of season stats.
% of overall goals that came from empty net goals:
- Henrik Sedin: 10.3%
- Alexander Ovechkin: 10.0%
- Steven Stamkos: 5.9%
- Sidney Crosby: 2.0%
Top 3 Art Ross trophy leaders points derived from empty net goals:
- Henrik Sedin: 3 goals and 1 assists on empty net goals.
- Alexander Ovechkin: 5 goals and 0 assists on empty net goals.
- Sidney Crosby: 1 goals and 2 assists on empty net goals.
While the Art Ross Trophy race is not affected by empty net goals, the MVP vote should be looking at how many of the players points were derived from empty netters. If you take the players total points that they have now and subtract the freebie empty net points, then the race doesn’t look too different this year:
- Henrik Sedin: 112 pts – 4 empty net pts. = 108 pts
- Sidney Crosby: 109 pts – 3 empty net pts. = 106 pts
- Alexander Ovechkin: 109 pts – 5 empty net pts. = 104 pts
How about how the goal scoring race is affected:
Overall goals minus empty net goals:
- Sidney Crosby: 51 goals -1 empty net goal = 50 goals
- Steven Stamkos: 51 goals -3 empty net goals = 48 goals
- Alexander Ovechkin: 50 goals -5 empty net goals = 45 goals
Crosby vs Ovechkin lifetime empty net goals
- Alexander Ovechkin: 15
- Sidney Crosby: 4
We will keep this updated the rest of the regular season.
Laste years race: Empty Net Goals: Malkin, Ovechkin & Crosby